Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Day 36: Brasov #3

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Today's highlights:
   -Tummy problems
   -Storage Wars!
   -Exploring Brasov

So it turns out, beautiul Brasov was the land of "almosts." Two days ago, we almost got to go inside Peles Castle. Yesterday, we almost got to hike Sapte Scari. And today, we almost went to Bran Castle (the infamous "Dracula's Castle"). That was our plan anyway, but when poor Robbie woke up with major probleme la stomac, plans changed. We couldn't leave the hotel room for fear of being more than 30 seconds away from a bathroom at any given moment. Poor guy. We can't figure out what did it, because we eat all the same things, off the same plates. Weird. 

Anyway, since we couldn't leave, we returned to our favorite show (for lack of better options): Storage Wars!! We watched so many today that we are starting to get really into it. Darrel is obvi our favorite, and we get really excited when he makes big bucks off his storage units. And good ol' Jarrod and Brandi just keep us a laughin' with all their bickering. Good times on the history channel. Speaking of, since when did the history channel become more about "life in the boonies" than actual history? A little confused on that one. 


At one point, I had to go to the train station and buy our train tickets for tomorrow morning, and since Rob was still feeling super iffy, I opted to go out on my own. I know that probably doesn't seem like a big deal to you guys because hey, we are traveling! That's what you do! But the thing is, Robbie and I have never been separated this trip and without him I have no, like ZERO, sense of direction. Seriously, he laughs so hard because every time we walk out the door of a store or hotel or anything, I automatically turn and start walking the opposite direction I'm supposed to (on accident). You'd think I'd have a 50/50 chance of getting it right but no, I am wrong 100% of the time. He told me I should just start doing the exact opposite of whatever my instincts tell me and then I'll be alright. Part of me wanted to act offended at that, but I know it's true. Anyway, so he drew me a little map of the city and where our hotel was and I ventured off. And guess what?! It was awesome! I totally found my way around and what's more, I felt so free. I realized that I have NEVER been alone in Romania. As a missionary, I was always with a companion every second of every day. When I went back a year later, I was with my parents and friends the whole time. And this week, I have been with my love the whole time. So it felt strangely wrong to be wandering alone. Wrong, and yet so right. 

I made it home safely (with a bag of Fornetti, oops!) and we watched some other history channel shows (obviously not as cool as Storage Wars, but unfortunately it's not on a continuous loop all day). In the late afternoon, Rob was finally feeling confident enough to get some fresh air so we went out to see some of the city.

First, we took a cable car to the top of the mountain overlooking the city to the Hollywood-esque "Brasov" sign up at the top. We totes would have hiked it if Robbie had been feeling better. His sickness was the only reason we did not climb up that beast of a mountain on foot. (Right? Was I convincing enough? Let's get real now, sometimes being sick has major benefits for you and your significant other). But man, WOW, it really was super pretty up there. The city is really gorgeous. And the sign is actually WAY bigger than it looks from down in the valley. I know that seems like a "duh" comment, but I'm just sayin, I was surprised. 




Then we went and found "Strada Sforii," famous for being one of, if not the smallest street in Europe. It is less than an armspan wide (basically a cobblestone path) and is considered a real street! It's pretty cool. We tried to scale the walls really high, and Robbie did awesome. People stared in awe. Then I tried and fell down right after the picture was taken because of a charley horse in my hamstring. What? Am I 70 years old? Oh well. 




Rob was finally feeling hungry, so we got him some food. Unfortunately, we don't make the smartest decisions. We got him KFC. Maaaaaaaaaaaybe not the best thing to eat if you've been having stomach problems all day (especially since Romanian KFC's have a notorious reputation for giving people stomach problems). Needless to say, later that night he was right back where he started the day. Poor, poor guy. So we came back and took it easy for the rest of the night.


2 comments:

  1. Ang, your stomach is made of steel. I have been telling you that for years! ;) No surprise it made Robbie sick and not you. Haha. Love those pics of you and Robbie in Strada Sforii. Made me think of our trip! So fun! I cant wait to talk to you when you get home! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of my best memories from when I've been traveling have been the times that I got to go out and explore on my own! Not that I don't like my friends and family--there's just something exciting about it. And yes, you feel FREE.

    By the way, that story about the stomach problems + KFC totally sounded like something that would happen to me and Jacob hahaha! Poor Robbie.

    ReplyDelete